Back at school after months of lockdown, many children — however glad at seeing their friends again — will have become disconnected from former patterns of learning.
Even the keenest are likely to have lost their edge of concentration; others, perhaps many, will be feeling adrift and may appear unwilling to learn at all. Signs of stress such as anxiety, recklessness, depression, self-doubt, are likely to show themselves, and learning for many will have become a challenge — their Resilience a casualty of lockdown.
Research shows that without resilience, in one form or another, learning is impossible.
But resilience, as you know, is a frame of mind that can be re-energised and grown through engaging classroom cultures tended by thoughtful teachers. It takes time, but the sooner you start, the sooner the benefits will start to show. And it’s never too late, with often surprising quick wins!
Re-energising Your Learners’ Resilience
– an affordable online post-lockdown repair kit for schools and teachers everywhere
Drawing from teachers who have worked on building their students’ resilience, TLO’s school-wide resource is designed to help you re-energise, revive and develop your students’ emotional learning behaviours. It puts all the relevant resources together in one place, linked to stages of development.
The resource will help teachers to:
- take account of students’ different emotional states
- ready learners to make accelerated progress as they recover from missed learning time
- capture the culture of a motivational classroom
- use language that helps students to help themselves engage strongly in learning
- ensure students’ learning becomes emotionally robust
- build shared expertise throughout the school
- use the kit to support professional development activities throughout the year
- achieve a lasting impact on classroom practice
Five questions the kit answers:
- How do you find the starting point for your students?
- Which of the 100+ practical ideas might best engage your students?
- How might you design a motivational culture to strengthen resilience in learning?
- What does research actually tell us about aspects of resilience?
- What sort of teacher talk makes a difference?
If it sounds as though this Repair Kit could hit the right note in your school, you can find out more by …