Timescale: Approximately one year
Objectives: Professional learning communities within your school build Learning Power expertise by using online resources
Guided by best practice thinking in professional development, this modular on-line programme organises a consistent school-wide approach to developing pupils’ learning behaviours.
The second distance learning programme in TLO’s Stepping Stones series consists of nine modules, each expected to take about a month to complete. It invites you to undertake some rich activities in the form of learning experiments in your classrooms, helping you to organise your own discoveries and extend your own understanding of the power of building students’ learning habits.
The effect is to;
- deepen the learning positive culture of the school
- speed up the change process through learning teams
- strengthen the growing expertise across the school
- ensure a focus on a proven right track
- build pupils’ learning character across a broader range of behaviours.
How it works
Stepping Stones Phase 2 consists of nine online modules, each expected to take about a month to complete. The solid foundation and understanding established in Stepping Stones Phase 1 means that Phase 2 can move much more quickly and you can introduce a new learning habit each month. Over the year you can incorporate all the remaining learning habits into classroom practice. You can also choose which order to do the modules in, so you can follow your own curiosity and best fit with your progress.
The modules are about the learning habits of:
Each module has four sections:
Section 1 How the learning habit develops
Section 1 introduces you to the progression grid, unpicks the detail of the behaviour through grid and asks you to plot where your pupils are now in using the behaviour
This section offers a concise way of getting to grips with the learning behaviour and how it progresses. It’s likely to take about 20 mins to get your head around it.
Section 2 Taking the learning habit into classroom culture
This section invites you to think about your classroom culture and how you might shift it to better nurture and support the learning habit. This section should take about 10 minutes.
Section 3 Teaching for learning
This section offers; ideas for lesson starters/quick wins; classroom activities; learning reflection tools; ideas for the appropriate learning language for each phase in the progression grid. You are likely to browse in this section for about 30 minutes.
Section 4 Team reflection and planning
Review and Renew day
The on-line programme can be packaged with a consultancy day to review your progress over Phase 1 and give renewed focus for moving into Phase 2, considering which modules might be best to visit first. No INSET required.
- Morning session with SLT including observations in classrooms, talking with children and taking soundings from staff. This session aims to review the impact of Stepping Stones Phase 1 on both teachers and learners. The afternoon session will be spent with the Professional Learning Team leaders to evaluate the rigour and effectiveness of the team sessions from Phase 1. The twilight session for all staff will feedback on their progress and give an overview of what they can expect in Phase 2.
This format does not require an in-service training day.Preview the unit ‘Me-Learning (Meta-Learning)’
Please contact us to learn how this programme can benefit learning in your school…